Greater Houston Area Museums Art Car
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 12pm Tuesday, February 22, 2011
The 2011 American Association of Museums (AAM) Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo Local Host Committee, in partnership with the Orange Show Center for Visionary Art and the Houston Arts Alliance, requests proposals from artists and artist teams for an Art Car design representing the Greater Houston Area Museums for the 2011 Art Car Parade on Sunday, May 22, 2011.
The Art Car Parade marks the opening event for the AAM Annual Meeting, which brings 5,000-6,000 regional, national, and international museum curators, practitioners and visionaries from more than 50 countries. Following the parade, the Houston Area Museums Art Car will be displayed at the George R. Brown Convention Center during the AAM conference, May 22-25, 2011.
- Utilize objects and materials provided by museums in the Greater Houston Area to create a design that showcases the quality and diversity of our museum community.
- Reflect the spirit of the Art Car tradition while revealing Greater Houston’s vibrancy as a creative generator.
- Use of materials that can withstand unexpected weather conditions.
- Artist(s) must be available to work within an accelerated timeline and provide their own workspace
This opportunity is open to artists working in all media.
$4,000 awarded in increments, inclusive of design, materials and fabrication. The vehicle will be provided free of charge courtesy of the Orange Show, most likely a limousine or a station wagon.
February 2011 - Submissions received, committee review, finalist interview
March 2011 - Contract executed, fabrication initiated
April 2011 - Fabrication
May 18, 2011 - Fabrication complete
May 20, 2011 - Houston Museums Art Car to be displayed at the Art Car Ball
May 21, 2011 - Houston Museums Art Car to be displayed at Sneak Peek at Discovery Green
May 22, 2011 – Houston Museums Art Car to participate in the Art Car Parade (Orange Show can help find a driver for the car if the artist is otherwise occupied)
May 22-25, 2001 - Greater Houston Museums Art Car displayed at George R. Brown Convention Center during AAM Conference
Representatives from AAM 2011 Public Arts & Programming Subcommittee’s Art Car Task Force and the AAM 2011 Local Conference Coordinator will review eligible submissions and recommend one finalist and one alternate to be interviewed the week of February 21, 2011.
Please submit by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 12pm (noon)
Cover page with contact information including artist and/or team members name(s), address, phone numbers, e-mail address, and website.
- A letter of interest describing your method of approach and availability to complete the project on schedule and within budget (up to 600 words in Microsoft Word).
- Biographical statement (up to 600 words in Microsoft Word).
Documentation of prior work in up to 5 digital images, preferably in a PowerPoint file, with image identification noted within slides (file size should not exceed 5MB).
- Three references with current contact information.
For questions contact:
Civic Art & Design Project Manager, Houston Arts Alliance